Volunteering as an Individual or Family
Volunteers are the backbone of the Meals on Wheels program. Our program could not function without the loyal support of nearly 400 people who faithfully help us. Each weekday about 80 volunteers drive delivery routes, package meals, pick up donations, and perform office duties. Volunteers can donate their time once a week, once a month or anywhere in between. Volunteer opportunities are convenient for individuals, couples or families. Our volunteers deliver so much more than just a meal—they deliver a warm smile and a friendly gesture, and feed the body and soul of those they come in contact with. To get involved, please complete the volunteer application and drop it by our center, fax to 864-222-6691 or email to email@example.com.
Weekday Volunteer Opportunities
- Anderson: Pick up meals at MOW center between the hours of 8:30 am and 10:30 am and deliver to a specific area in town. Most routes have 10 – 20 meals and take no longer than an 1 1/2 hours to deliver.
- Belton, Fair Play, Honea Path, Iva, Piedmont, Pendleton, Powdersville, Starr, Townville, Williamston, and Wren: Drivers are need to take meals for multiple routes from MOW Center to specific meeting places closer to the delivery locations.
- Driver Substitutes: Ability to fill in for regular route drivers when they are unable to be here. Subs may drive once a month or once a week – it depends upon your availability.
- Scoop food and pack meals for drivers to take on delivery. Meal line starts at 8:30 am and is finished by 10:00 am.
- Pick up donated food items from local grocery stores, businesses, and individuals and bring to MOW center.
- Process route sheets for the next day and call outlying area drivers between 8:00 am and 12:00 pm.
Special Event Volunteer Opportunities
Saturday, October 14, 2017
Volunteer Hours: TBD
Mardi Gras in the Electric City
Friday, March 2, 2018
Volunteer Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; 6:30 p.m.-11 p.m. (shifts)
Help with set-up, work soft drink sales, assist with silent auction, be a “runner” for restaurants providing food, help clean up crew.
BB&T Connector Run
Saturday, March 24, 2018
Volunteer Hours: TBD
Help with packet sorting, packet pick-up, set-up, work water table, help clean up crew.
Hartwell Lake Poker Run
June 2018, Date TBD, Two-day Event
Help with set-up, work soft drink & food sales, work t-shirt sales, help with clean up crew.
Other Ways to Help
If you or your family are unable to donate time to deliver a route or volunteer during our normal business hours, we have other ways that you can be involved in enhancing and carrying out our mission of delivering meals to the disabled and elderly homebound residents of Anderson County.